It is a federal requirement that certain websites comply with the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The purpose is to ensure that anybody, regardless of physical handicap can read, see, and/or listen to the content on your website.
As with many things, complying with Section 508 of the ADA does require additional work. But, the good news is that what you do to help persons with disabilities read and understand the content on your website also helps search engine spiders read, understand, cache, and index the content on your website. This is a good thing.
Indeed, the more pages of information that search engines, like Google, index the more likely your site will rank on the search engine results pages (SERP) when a potential website visitor or customer “Googles” your key words.
So, do yourself a favor, and at the same time help persons with disabilities better read, understand, and listen to the content on your website. Make your site Section 508 Compliant for Accessibility.
For more information about Section 508 compliance see the following websites:
- GSA BuyAccessible Wizard – The BuyAccessible Wizard is a tool to facilitate compliance with the requirements of Section 508.
- Section 508 – The Road to Accessibility explaining the 508 law, training, coordinators, accessibility forum, and events.
- United States Access Board – A federal agency committed to accessible design with links to the board, guidelines & standards, research, training, publications, and enforcement.
- Section 508 (Law) – United States Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Workforce Investment Act of 1998
- WebAIM – Web Accessibility in Mind, expanding the web’s potential for people with disabilities, with links to products, services, articles, resources, community, and training.
- WCAG 1.0 – Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) recommendation.
- Web Content Accessibility Validator – Designed to identify errors in your content related to Section 508 standards and/or WCAG guidelines.
Free Section 508 Compliance Validator Tool
Test your site for accessibility and 508 compliance